This is a very simple recipe I created during my confinement. I’ve said that is is simple and easy, a home cooked meal special for those in confinement. I might add that it is very healthy too. So let’s checkout the recipe.
1 Medium sized ikan bawal / pomfret – I used ikan bawal emas
4 Shallots finely sliced
2 Cloves of garlic bruised
1 inch of ginger sliced
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1 stalk lamongrass bruised
5 pcs dried chinese dates
1 carrot sliced
1 stalk of celery sliced
1 tomatoes cut into 4 quarters
A bit of light soy sauce to replace the salt to taste
1 Tbsp of fish sauce
A bit of ground pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Water or fish stock as necessary
1. Heat the oil with medium heat in a wok or pot and sautee the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, shallots, and garlic until fragrant
2. Add water or stock as needed to make sure it can cover the fish. Add ginger and lamongrass and bring to boil with high heat
3. When the soup starts to boil, add celery, carrots and the dried dates. Add a bit of soy sauce and fish sauce to taste
4. When the soup has boiled and carrot starts to soften, add the fish and tomatoes and cook it just enough until you see the eyeball dry up a bit. I cook mine for about 10 mins. You don’t want to overcook the fish or you will get a very dry flesh. Not so tasty!
5. Adjust the saltiness by adding more soy sauce and add ground pepper as desired.
You can also add some tumeric leaves or kaffir lime leaves to add a nice aroma to the soup. Enjoy!🙂